Dr. William Donigan was recognized as this year’s Outstanding Provider by the North Carolina Community Health Center Association (NCCHCA). Dr. Donigan received the award at the NCCHCA’s Summer conference on June 13th, and the presentation was made by President and CEO, Ben Money.
The NCCHCA Outstanding Provider Award recognizes a provider who has worked in a North Carolina Community Health Center for at least five years, for commitment, compassion and superior contributions embodying the Community Health Center mission. The criteria for the award stipulate that the provider’s professional history must demonstrate:
- Passionate belief in patient-governed health care with a focus on meeting patient and family goals.
- Commitment to the highest standards of professional practice
- Excellent clinical and critical thinking skills
- Effective communication that encourages and empowers patients and coworkers
- Efforts to address social needs in a medial context.
Dr. Donigan certainly embodies all of these qualities, and we are very proud of this recognition. Congratulations Dr. D!
The following is a transcript of the comments made at the presentation:
- Dr. Donigan graduated with a BS from Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, (1979) and a DDS from the University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois (1983). That same year he purchased a private practice in Osage City, Kansas practicing dentistry there until 2007.
- In 1998 Dr. Donigan became the Dental Director at the Martin de Porres Dental Clinic in Topeka, Kansas while also operating his own dental practice. After stabilizing that clinic, he went on to direct the expansion of dental services at Flint Hills Community Health Center in Emporia, Kansas. While working at these clinics Dr. Donigan’s desire grew to further his public health education, completing his MPH in 2007 from the University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas.
- In 2007, Dr. Donigan and his family moved to North Carolina after being hired as Dental Director at Gaston Family Health Services in Gastonia, North Carolina. This is where he continues to see patients and oversee a staff of nine dentists and forty five support staff.
- In 2010 Dr. Donigan was named NNOHA’s Clinician of the Year and also Gaston County’s “Public Health Hero”.
- In 2013 he was nominated for Fellowship in the International College of Dentistry. Dr. Donigan served as Kansas Dental Association PAC chairman, Flint Hills District Dental Society President and as North Carolina’s First District President.
- In 2012 he joined Safety Net Solutions as an expert advisor. Dr. Donigan is passionate about Public Health Dentistry and creating collaboration with other organizations that support “unified dental care for all”.
Please join us in congratulating Dr. Donigan as the recipient of the 2016 NCCHCA Outstanding Provider Award!